Prep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1 cup Angry Tomato Salsa, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Mix in bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Angry Tomato Salsa, egg, cilantro and garlic. Shape bean mixture into four patties; refrigerate 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook burgers 3-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns with remaining Angry Tomato Salsa.
1 burger: 299 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 696mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 8g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat.